Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Indianapolis Indians 0, Toledo Mud Hens 3


Tom, the generous host from Detroit suggested that we see if the Toledo Mud Hens would be home when we pass through. Sure enough they were playing the Indianapolis Indians at 10:30 am on the next day (Monday). First of all what kind of professional game starts at 10:30? Regardless, seeing as how we were on a baseball trip it only seemed appropriate that we make an appearance.

Turns out it was "school day" at the park which esstially meant that the place was packed full of 8-15 year old screaming kids. just about every 2 minuets the jumbotron would have a "make noise" sign and apparently, that is a very effective way of getting kids to belt out high pitch screams at the top of their lungs. Ben made the comment that the place seemed more like a Jonas Brothers concert. I just wondered what the players thought of playing in conditions like that.

Other than the average age of the crowd the stadium was very impressive as for a minor league park. Tom had said Fifth Third Field was very highly rated in the country and I would agree. We got cheap tickets and just walked around the park. We were able to walk all the way around, stopping at different angles. The left and right field fences had no seating behind them so you could get right up to the field which I thought was cool.

The game itself was quite the pitchers dual. The losing pitcher was throwing a no hitter through 5 until he let up a hit, then on a bunt he threw it away, then a 3 run homer and that was all the scoring in the game. The Mud Hens pitcher threw a 2 hitter complete game.

2 comments:

  1. Alright Ben I think I am doing this following and commenting thing right??? I am so happy you are doing this!!! I remember when you told me "I never go anywhere!" You'll NEVER be able to say that again!!! I'll be following you guys (anything is better than housework)Stay safe and keep smiling...Your photos are great. I wish I knew someone you guys could stay with. But I dont' get out much..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauri! It's great to hear from you...and yes, you did do the following and commenting thing right! And you're right, I think I've already been to more cities in America over the last week then the previous 22 years! Tell Matt and the rest of the family I say hello. I hope you all have a great summer (go to a couple Braves games for me?) Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete